Glamour Obsession

Fashion, Beauty, Fragrance, and all things Glamorous!

Friday, September 7, 2012

Maybelline Color Tattoo Eyeshadows: Review + Swatches!

Maybelline recently came out with 8 limited edition shades for their Color Tattoo line for Fall 2012. I picked up a few shades and decided to do reviews and swatches of the colors I have from the permanent line in addition to the new shades. Here is a look at the permanent range!


This line of cream shadows out-performs every cream shadow product I have ever tried from the drugstore. Once applied and dried, they do not budge until you take them off! I don't experience any creasing when worn with a primer and for the most part without a primer (but I always wear one just to be safe). They last an incredibly long time on my lids and for this reason, I have no problem wearing them on their own and/or blended with other shadows. Mostly, I use them as bases for my powder eyeshadows. They function just as well as the MAC paint pots, Benefit creaseless cream shadows, and the Make Up Forever Aqua creams, but at around $6, are a fraction of what you would pay for any of the higher end cream shadows.
The permanent range has a nice selection of neutrals and colors. Out of the 10 shades available, I own 8. The other two shades that I do not own are Pomegranate Punk (burgundy) and Painted Purple (light purple). I never picked these up because I have the MAC paint pot in Idyllic, which is almost an exact dupe for Pomegranate Punk, and Painted Purple is the sheerest and most difficult to work with out of the whole line. 
Left to right, top to bottom: Too Cool, Audacious Asphalt, Tough as Taupe, and Bad to the Bronze
Up first are 4 neutrals. Too Cool is a shimmery white that I like to use as a highlight on the inner corner of the eye or under light shadows to give an iridescent pop from beneath. 
Audacious Asphalt is a slate gray with silver shimmer and is gorgeous as a base for a dark, smokey eye. 
Tough as Taupe is unique in the fact that it is completely matte! I love using this shade under cooler neutral eye looks. 
Lastly, and probably my most used of all, is Bad to the Bronze, which is a beautiful metallic bronze shade that I love to use on its own as a quick wash over the entire lid or under darker, neutral looks.

Too Cool, Audacious Asphalt, Tough as Taupe, and Bad to the Bronze
Left to right, top to bottom: Fierce & Tangy, Bold Gold, Edgy Emerald, and Tenacious Teal
On to the colors! Fierce & Tangy is a bold, matte orange. It doesn't lean pink or red, but is a true orange. I like to use this shade under coral eye looks and even sometimes on my dark circles before concealer to cancel out any blue and make me look more awake.
Bold Gold is another well-loved shade in my collection. It is a nice true, metallic gold that isn't too coppery or yellow-toned. I use this to highlight the inner part of my eye, under gold eye looks, and even as a liner. 
Edgy Emerald is a dark, pastel green with gorgeous micro-shimmer. I used this under a lot of green eye looks over the summer and as colored liner.
Lastly, is Tenacious Teal, a vibrant shimmery aqua color. This color is very metallic and looks great on its own, under blue eye looks, and especially as a liner.

Fierce & Tangy, Bold Gold, Edgy Emerald, Tenacious Teal
Overall, I have no complaints with these shadows. They are smooth, pigment-rich, and blend well when used alone or under shadows.

To see reviews and swatches of the new limited edition Fall 2012 shade additions to the permanent Color Tattoo family, check out these posts:


Do you own any of the Color Tattoo eye shadows? If so, what are your favorite shades? :)

- xx, Eviola

No comments:

Post a Comment

.dsq-comment-body { color: #ffffff !important; }